Backyard composting is as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4!
- Choose a backyard composter that you like and then put it in an area with some shade.
- Your compost pile must have a good mixture of "browns" and "greens"
- "browns" include leaves, hay, straw, paper, and old ashes.
- "greens" (high in nitrogen) include grass clippings, fruit and vegetable peelings, coffee grounds, and weeds.
- Make sure your compost pile is damp and has plenty of air. If it's too wet, add browns or remove the cover. If it's too dry, add water. Add air by poking it with a pitchfork.
- Then wait. Compost happens.
The Municipality of Chester has Earth Machines for sale at a cost of $34.65. Please contact us at (902) 275-1312 to order one.