Home / Chester Playhouse

Chester Playhouse

The Chester Playhouse is owned and operated by the Chester Theatre Council Society (CTC). A registered Society since 1984, the CTC is a charitable organization with a volunteer Board of Directors chosen from the members. The mission of the Society is: To foster, promote, encourage and develop the performing arts and to maintain a community arts facility in the Municipality of Chester.

The village of Chester is a seaside resort with a small year round population that more than doubles in July and August. The Chester Playhouse, located on the main street, was originally a movie theatre built in 1939 and converted for live entertainment in 1963 when the Chester Jesters presented the first summer productions on stage. In 1975, Leo and Dora Velleman operated Canadian Puppet Festivals from the theatre until merging with Mermaid Theatre in 1983. In 1987 the building was purchased by Sir Christopher Ondaatje, who donated it to the Theatre Council, renamed it the Chester Playhouse, and the first Chester Summer Theatre Festival presented a series of touring shows over an eight week period.

We have established the Playhouse as a venue for community outreach through presentations by local school drama groups, Nova Dance Studios, The Chester Drama Society, and a winter play reading series. The Playhouse also sponsors many other community groups as a venue for benefits and fundraising. We have established a very successful after school acting program for youth aged 4-18 and have had a summer theatre school for the past 18 years. We partner with the local schools to bring students to specific performances and also offer discounted tickets to students for all of our productions through the eyeGO to the Arts program.

This is a third party listing and has not been verified by the Municipality.
This site is powered by 100% renewable energy