Skip to main content

Area Tax Rates

Area rates are applied to properties that use a specific service. For example, if your home is connected to the public sewer system, the charge to use the system will show up on the tax bill. If your home is not in the service area, no charge is applied.

Your applicable area rates are applied per $100 of your assessment value.

Area rates are also used by fire/village commissions. We collect the rate on their behalf and then forward the money to them.

The Municipality applies area rates for:

  • Waste collection and disposal ($0.1205)
  • Streetlights (depends on location)
  • Universal sewer services (we explain what this means below)
  • Private road improvement and maintenance (this is collected from specific homeowners and given to their homeowners’ associations. The Municipality does not maintain or repair private roads)
  • Private wells (Mill Cove only)

Universal Sewer and EDU’S

The universal sewer charge is based on “equivalent dwelling units” (EDUs). One EDU is equal to the estimated flow generated by one single-family residence.  Properties that generate a higher flow (such as restaurants or homes for special care) are designated a higher number of EDUs.  The value of one EDU is $676.65 (2022/23), which is calculated by dividing the total amount needed to maintain and operate all six central sewer systems by the number of users and their estimated usage.

Property tax bills reflect the number of EDUs for the property multiplied by the EDU rate of $676.65 (2022/23).  To view the EDU chart for the Municipality look under Schedule A of the Municipal Sewer By-law No. 34.

If you have any concerns or questions about the assessed EDU for your property or about the system itself, we welcome your call at 902-275-1312.  You can also send us an email by clicking here .  If your assessed EDU is greater than one, you can also request a review of your property and sewer charge amount.  Please read the Sewer Service Review Procedure, print, and complete the form included in it.  Return the form by February 15 each year to the Municipal Clerk.